Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Take a Picture of My Heart


You are the quintessence of all what’s beautiful and rare

The muting of sorrow and despair.

You are the unworldly rhythm of my thoughts

And the immortal fire of teenage love

You are the soft captivity of my soul’s desire

And the deadly browns and glittery yellows of the autumn.


Gerhard Richter, Overpainted Photographs.
There is more than one way of interpreting the season of transformation.


However, you are not a simple line representing the horizon,

The non-inspiring gray skies

Or the words in a lost dialect

And you are certainly not a deceiving vain smile

There is just no way you are a deceiving vain smile.



Vintage Weinernter, Gerhard Richter (1968)
Gray desplays nothing but sadness.




It is possible that you are the pearly treasures of the sea

May be even art’s never found hidden intentions

But you are not even close

To being the starvation for a shoulder when crying.

Ashville, Willem de Kooning (1947)
Can you see the message beyond?


And a quick look in the mirror will show,

That you are neither the fire congealed with senseless cold

Nor the taste of bitter strawberries to my full lips.

It might interest you to know,

Speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,

That I am the plain white canvas to your imagination.


I also happen to be the admiration of what we can’t understand,

The lights that spatter heaven above

And the mind’s departure when dreaming.


Drammen 1, Thomas Struth (2001)
Particularly exceptional were the lights beaming on the sky.

 
I am also the sweet masochistic distance

And the end to your means.

But don’t worry, I am not the quintessence of all what’s beautiful and rare

You are still the quintessence of all what’s beautiful and rare

You will always be the quintessence of all what’s beautiful and rare

Not to mention the muting of sorrow and –somehow- despair.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Embracer of Her Inner Jackson Pollock! You saw me the first time I read this poem, tears came to my eyes. What you have written here is so beautiful. Then you surprised me with the incredible artwork you found to express in an even clearer way--your thoughts and feelings!

    There are so many expressions here that hold beauty:

    "unworldly rhythm of my thoughts"
    "immortal fire of teenage love"
    "simple line representing the horizon"

    ohhhhh, I would have to write down the entire poem...thank you for writing this Vanessa!

    No questions this time but a lot of curiosity about the "you" in the poem.

    ReplyDelete