Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More Than Just a Sense of Belonging

Santa Lucía possesses a hidden charm that everyone is a slave of, including myself. Being the cradle of poets and artists, the inspirational and intangible characteristic of this piece of land is undeniable, evoking a sense of belonging that explodes within me when walking the irregular stone streets.

 I’ve caught myself drifting in Santa Lucía’s dimly enlighten striking narrow streets, bonding with the high and continuous facades, colored with vibrant and distinctive electric blues, shiny yellows and deep reds, using a visual language of color and line to create a conspicuous representation of what I believe it is architectural abstract expressionism. The everlasting ceilings and decorated walls reek of a rich blend of customs and traditions, proving to be the living testimony of Venezuela during the colonization. While walking in the striking narrow streets, I can only reproduce the stories those walls might hide, letting my thoughts merge with the revolutionary sound of the closely related residents… Letting my heart embrace the visual stimulation of the emotionally charged environment surrounding me… Transcending my logical construction of reality, bringing dimensions to my flat perception... Music, art, memories… No wonder why this is the spot chosen by the designers to exhibit their art. This place has seen it all, including my very own memoirs. What else will it be witness of?

Santa Lucía, Maracaibo.

2 comments:

  1. It is so beautifull. Reading and watching the picture I felt I was in that place... I love this kind of places where you can travel to the past and imagine how the life was before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vanessa, you make me really feel a sense of place and how you connected with Santa Lucia. I particularly love the words "slave" and "explode." I like the idea of revolutionaries and neighbors and all the music and art! You leave me wanting to know more about the specific kinds of music--what do the lyrics say? What kind or art is there....Wow!

    ReplyDelete